Cortona 1883 - Parigi 1966
Composition with musical instruments,1952
Polychrome mosaic, 90 x 35.4 cm
Initials lower right
Mosaic planned and created by Gino Severini
The mosaic was created by Severini himself on the basis of his pastel of 1950 (Large still life, pastel on canvas paper, cm. 65 x 97, Fonti Catalog 1988, n. 859).
The work, of which the author also made a smaller size one, was intended for a wall of the ocean liner Leonardo Da Vinci which was launched in 1958 by the Navigation Company of Genova to replace Andrea Doria ocean liner.
The most popular architects of that period were in charge for the planning of the mountings and Giulio Carlo Argan supervised the decorations of the posh living rooms with very popular artists' works of art. The work of art turned out to be too heavy for the initial destination, so it was replaced by a painting. So far, it is still unpublished.
The same composition, with a very close colour code, was used in 1985 for the great mosaic panel in the Agora Room of the city of Gibellina Town Hall in Sicily (size. 300 x 400 cm).
Photo-certificate by the Artist written in his studio in Paris on 27th April 1965;
photo-certificate by Archive Severini issued by Romana Severini Brunori