An extraordinary and rare greek late Hellenistic gold ring with an emerald and garnet bezel.
Bezel 22 x 30 x 16 mm; H. 36 mm total; ring internal size 17 x 25 mm; gr. 42,30
Characterized by a box-shaped bezel with a rectangular base (a "trunk") in which a large plasma is set - rectangular emerald (root) with three-sided surfaces of a bright green (the central face is wider, those on the sides are narrower, the variation includes a curved surface); the stone shows signs of wear and heat. The stone is held on the short sides by two elements in gold leaf connected to the case, finely decorated with a frieze of triangles and lozenges executed with granulation (double series of triangles, opposite so that the top of a row faces towards the bottom against the vertices of the second row, in the middle, the interlocking lozenges). The stone is crowned by a frame formed by small spheres welded to the bezel. The hoop of the ring is highly worked and imitates the motif of the club of Hercules (with the small drop-shaped elements with a small sphere in the center to imitate the typical nodules of the wood of the club). The hoop ends with an elegant woven motif, "Hercules knot" style, in which a small convex garnet is set. Less than ten similar specimens, that can be traced back to the same atelier, are present. An example with a certain provenance is the one of the Archelogical Museum of Naples, from Canosa. This rare and valuable typology could be linked to the production in the Alexandrian environment dating: 2nd-1st century BC .The ring is in a perfect state of preservation and has no defects or faults, and should be considered among the best examples in its category, both for its elaborate decoration, quality of the stone, and conditions (intact). Extraordinary execution technique and preciousness of the material. An artifact of such value and importance is likely to refer to a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty. For further information, see: Rodolfo Siviero, Gli ori e le ambre del Museo Nazionale di Napoli, n. 115 p. 38, tav. 118-119, specimen from Canosa, inv. 25157. The ring is described as "one of the most sumptuous examples of the Naples collection"; See also: Catalogo delle oreficerie del Museo Nazionale di Napoli, tav. XXIII n.2, scheda n. 160, n. inv. 25157. Thomaston Place Auction Galleries (2016), dated to the first century. B.C. about and whose origin is supposed to come from the Treasury of Asyut (it was hypothesized its discovery in Egypt and its subsequent belonging to a treasure of gold referring to the Byzantine Empire). See: collections of the Staatliche Antikensammlungen of Munich and Rhode Island School of Design (Robert Zahn, Sammlungen der Galerie Bachstitz, vol. II, Berlin 1921, No. 57 pp. 16-17 table No. 2; copy of the Louvre Museum, Paris , dated II century BC inv. BJ 1148, Sully, Room 663, Showcase C5. This lot is listed in an invoice from parisian gallery Mythes et Légendes by Michel Cohen in 1986, mentionning that the piece was formerly in Arthur Sambon (1867-1947) collection.
2nd-1st century BC.